Chilli bean soup
- 150gr pack chorizo or bacon bits
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1 400gr tin of red kidney beans
- 1 400gr tin tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried chipotle flakes
- 1 tsp dried ancho flakes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp chipotles in adobo (optional)
- 1/2 tsp mixed dried herbs
- Sour cream & grated cheese to serve
- In a heavy based casserole fry off the chorizo or bacon bits till they are crispy & release their oil.
- Remove from pan with slotted spoon & set aside.
- Fry off chopped onion, garlic & chopped pepper until softened.
- Add the chilli flakes & dried herbs & stir to coat, then add half the tin of kidney beans & the tin of tomatoes.
- Half fill the tomato tin with cold water, swill it round & add to the pan.
- Add the tomato purée & the chipotles in adobo and simmer gently for 15 mins.
- Blend to a smooth consistency then add the remaining beans & bring back to simmering point.
- Serve topped with the frazzled chorizo, some grated cheddar & a swirl of sour cream. Excellent with a buttered onion bagel.