I’ve tried many recipes for brownies over the years but I always come back to this very simple store cupboard version. You can dress it up with ice cream and caramel sauce or spice it up with chilli but the basic recipe is always a crowd pleaser.
Store Cupboard Brownies
- 170gr butter
- 330gr caster or soft brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 85gr plain flour
- 50gr cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C.
- Butter and line a cake tin (about 20cm square) with baking paper.
- Melt the butter in a microwave or pan and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl or electric mixer beat the eggs with the sugar, then add the vanilla extract.
- Sieve in the flour, cocoa, and baking powder, and stir to combine then add the melted butter a little at a time. Mix well. The mix should look smooth and glossy.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean, approximately 35-40 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly then remove from the tin and place on a cooling rack.
- Once cool it may look sunken in the middle and crusty around the edges. This is fine! Trim the edges – putting them aside as cook’s treats – and cut into square portions.
- Dust with icing sugar, (or gold chocolate curls as in the top picture), and enjoy as is or add toffee sauce and ice cream for a special treat.