Jesus said, 3“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
We want to give you thanks for everything. And yet we fail…
- We moan when things don’t go our way
- We’re not satisfied with what we need and want more
- We don’t recognise the value of simple things until they are gone – family, friends, health, shelter, clean water, food – we take them all for granted
Forgive us Lord for our lack of gratitude
We want so much to be faithful servants. And yet we fail…
- We find so many reasons for our lack of action
- We allow fear of rejection to prevent us speaking out
- We bicker and fight amongst ourselves over trivial matters and ignore the life and death matter of eternity when faced by non belief
Forgive us Lord for our lack of faith
We want to live transformed lives. And yet we fail…
- We slip back easily into old familiar sin
- We fail to see the log in our own eyes being too busy pointing out the specks in others
- We allow temptation to creep in so subtly we barely notice it
Forgive us Lord for not living out our transformation
We want to inspire those around us who do not know you. And yet we fail…
- We plan to share your good news and somehow make it sound bad
- We try to share your word and get embroiled in unhelpful semantic discussions
- We want to be recognised by our actions and with one slip of the tongue we mess it up
Forgive us Lord for our lack of inspiration
We want to know you better, see you more clearly. And yet we fail…
- We don’t listen carefully to your answers to prayer
- We don’t spend enough time in silent awe and admiration
- We don’t look for you carefully enough in everyday life
- We don’t try hard enough to really get to know you through scripture
Forgive us Lord for our inattention to our relationship with you
We can never meet your perfect standards.
We will not attain your holy righteousness this side of eternity.
We will let you down and others in the process.
But we are works in progress, Lord,
Servants trying to do better,
Followers yearning for your approval.
Forgiven because of the work of your son;
In love forever,