I’m having a new kitchen put in at the moment so I’m cooking out of my garage with an oven and hob that won’t work at the same time – it fuses the circuit! So this is a cheaty recipe because I’m using a few pre-prepared ingredients, and I’m doing it all in the oven. But by all means cook your own rice from scratch and chop your own squash – I would normally – and it would work equally well on the hob I am sure – providing it doesn’t fuse your circuit!
Spicy Rice and Beans
- 1 tin butter beans
- Handful cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 pack ready cut butternut squash & sweet potato (about 175gr)
- Kernels off 1 corn cob
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ancho chilli flakes
- 1/2tsp spicy paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- Salt & pepper
- Packet ready cooked rice
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- Olive oil
- Greek yoghurt and coriander to serve (optional)
- Heat oil in frying pan or wide based casserole.
- Add all the ingredients except the rice and tomato puree and stir to coat in the oil.
- Put in a preheated oven 180c for 30 mins or so until the vegetables are softened, stirring occasionally and adding a little water and covering if it gets too dry. Some of the beans will burst and go crispy – all to the good!
- Once the vegetables are soft add the rice, the tomato purée and a big slosh of water and return to the oven, covered, for 10 mins until moist and piping hot.
- Serve with a few dollops of Greek yoghurt on top and some chopped coriander if you have some (I didn’t). Delicious with some roast or grilled chicken and sriracha.