Homemade mincemeat is so much nicer than shop bought and can be used in lots of different puddings and desserts, not just mince pies!
- 8oz (225g) Bramley apples, cored and chopped small (no need to peel them)
- 4 oz (110 g) shredded suet
- 6oz (175 g) raisins
- 4oz (110 g) sultanas
- 4oz (110 g) currants
- 3oz (110g) dried cranberries
- 6oz (175 g) soft dark brown sugar
- grated zest and juice 1 orange
- grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- 2 oz (25 g) whole blanched almonds, chopped
- 2 tsps mixed ground spice
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- good pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- Combine all the ingredients, except for the brandy, in a large mixing bowl, stirring them well.
- Cover the bowl with a clean cloth and leave the mixture in a cool place overnight or for 12 hours.
- After that pre-heat the oven to gas mark ¼, 225°F (120°C). Cover the bowl loosely with foil and place it in the oven for 3 hours, then remove.
- When the mincemeat is quite cold, stir well again, and add the brandy. Pack in sterilised jars and seal.
- Store in a cool, dark cupboard and eat within a year of making.